ICMR - NIRT is a permanent Institute under the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) and an internationally recognized institution for research in Tuberculosis (TB) and associated co-morbidities including HIV and Diabetes Mellitus. The Institute is equipped with state-of-the-art research facilities. It is a Supranational Reference Laboratory and a WHO Collaborating Centre for TB Research and Training. An International Centre for Excellence in Research (ICER) in collaboration with NIH is functioning at the Institute.
Highly motivated individuals with good academic credentials and a keen desire to pursue research in frontier areas of Infectious Disease on tuberculosis are invited to apply for an Internship/Dissertation at ICMR - National Institute for Research in Tuberculosis [ICMR - NIRT].
- Clinical Pharmacology
- Health Economics
- Information Technology & Electronic Data Processing
- Public Health/Epidemiology
- Socio-Behavioural Research
Who can apply?
Individuals studying any of the courses below from State/Central Government/MCI/AICTE/UGC - recognized University/ College/Institute.
- BS / MD / MPH
Final year B.Sc. (Statistics / Sociology /Psychology / Visual Communication)
M.Sc. (Bio-statistics / Medical Statistics / Medical Sociology / Psychology / Life Sciences / Microbiology / Biochemistry / Pharmacology / Biotechnology / Medical Biochemistry / Medical Pharmacology / MLT / Nutrition / Econometrics / Visual Communication)
MSW / MA (Social Work, Economics, Anthropology)
M.B.A. (Human Resources / Innovation Entrepreneurship and Venture Development)
B.Tech. (or) M.Tech. (Biotechnology, Biomedical, Information Technology, Computer Science)
Duration of Internship/Dissertation Programme:
The dissertation programme will be allowed for a minimum period of 6 months. Internship/Observation visit is permitted for a period of 15 days.
Interested candidates may apply by filling the online application at the ICMR-NIRT website. The application link will be opened on 15th January/15th July and the applications will be received for 7 days from the date of opening.
The candidates will be selected based on their application and availability of supervisors. The decision of the Director will be final and no further correspondence will be entertained in this regard.
The names of selected candidates will be published on the ICMR-NIRT website.
Nature of Training
Fee to be paid by the students (Rs.)
2000/- per month
1. ICMR-NIRT will consider only the applications with complete information.
2. A requisition letter with a photo of the individual from the Head of the Institution is required.
3. In case of dissertation work, a concept paper is mandatory to be uploaded during the application
4. Selected candidates should strictly adhere to the rules and regulations of the Institute.
5. Selected candidates will work under the direct supervision of the Scientist/ Faculty nominated by the Director, ICMR - NIRT.
6. Selected candidates should pay the fees towards their internship/dissertation as soon as they join in their respective departments.
7. Upon successful completion of the assigned work, the candidates will receive a completion Certificate from the Supervisor and the Director, ICMR – NIRT.
8. In case of dissertation work, submission of a copy of the completed thesis is required.
9. Selected candidates will be encouraged to publish the research work carried out under the guidance of their supervisors at ICMR - NIRT. All institutional supervisory staff members who have made a significant contribution to the research work of the candidate will be entitled for authorship on the papers (as per the latest ICMJE authorship guidelines).
10. All IPR arising from the project work will belong to ICMR - NIRT, Chennai. The concerned candidate will be given due credit in publications arising out of his/ her work at ICMR - NIRT.
11. Selected candidates are bound to respect the confidentiality of information that they collect or are exposed to at ICMR-NIRT. No reports or papers may be published based on information obtained from ICMR-NIRT without the explicit written authorization of the Supervisor and the Director, ICMR-NIRT.
12. Although not considered a staff member of ICMR-NIRT, selected candidates shall follow the rules and regulations of ICMR-NIRT. The candidates will not be entitled to the privileges accorded to the officials and staff members of ICMR-NIRT.
13. Candidates should be fully COVID vaccinated (both doses)
14. Candidates should make their arrangements for accommodation, travel and living expenses. ICMR - NIRT WILL NOT arrange for the same.
15. The ICMR-NIRT Internship/Dissertation Programme does not entail employment.
16. ICMR-NIRT accepts no responsibility for costs or fatality arising from illness or accidents incurred during the internship/dissertation; therefore, candidates must carry adequate responsibilities of their medical conditions.
17. For any queries, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org
Instructions for filling the online application:
1. Passport size photo and signature should be uploaded in image format
2. Requisition, Resume and Concept paper (if applicable) should be uploaded in pdf format
3. All supporting documents uploaded should be of size <1 MB